As you probably already know, I’ve started a lot of fun community initiatives and events over the years and I’m proud to say we have ANOTHER! Not only that, but I’m also wanting to tell you about my Discord which already has tons of great discussion and fans in it right now. So how do these two tings link together? Let’s dive right in and find out!
First let me tell you about the Discord so you know what we do there and how this relates to our latest community event. The space is fairly relaxed with a heavy emphasis on supporting each other and hanging out. We have lots of discussions nearly every day on a variety of topics, so there’s something for everyone there. Each week we have hangouts, which include D&D, weekly Anime Music Quiz, and more!
If this sounds like a place you want to belong to, then I’d be very happy to have you. There aren’t a lot of rules, so don’t make me add any more and we won’t have a problem. Get help with your project, find collab partners, discuss, and have fun! You can find my Discord by clicking the banner below.
Now the exciting part! We get to talk about the server events which have just launched on the Discord. Every so often we will be hosting various cooperative and competitive events that are open to all Discord members on the server. Here’s a fast overview:
While we’ve always had little server events from Anime Music Quiz to D&D, and Friday hangouts, I recognize that not everyone is always able to participate in these events. For awhile now I’ve thought it’d be fun to run various server-wide events that last anywhere from a few weeks to a few months. That’s where this section of the server comes in!
Q: So what kind of things will we be doing?
A: We will be doing various activities, some competitive and some cooperative. Think something like a “jam” project or OWLS, but for the server folks here. The goal is to learn and sharpen skills while having fun doing it. Current ideas for activities include writing exercises, art challenges, and more!
Q: Who can participate?
A: Anyone! I’ll also be promoting this on Twitter, and I’d ask you do the same. Don’t feel like you need to join every event, but if you do…
Q: What do I get for participating?
A: While I would like to offer more things long-term, right now participating in events will net you a custom title in the server. This will denote you as a more active member and describe what event you participated in. Winners of events will also receive unique titles for the bragging rights. If you want to help provide prizes or something to make this more interesting let me know and we can work that out.
What are we doing this time?
This time we’ll be doing a music composition competition, but before you decide this is too hard for you hear me out. Not only is this software free and easy to use, there’s a $20 prize on the line to boot! Here’s some more information about the software we are using, Bosca Ceoil.
See how easy it is? There’s a little more to the contest, all to help you get started, but not much else. Here’s what you need to know:
There are only 5 things you need to do to enter the contest:
- Join my Discord by clicking any of the links or images above or right here.
- Download the free software, do the tutorial, and play around with it before even looking at the competition file. You can find the software:
- When you feel comfortable with the software, download the competition file on my Discord under “event information” and get to work! Be sure to read the rules and follow all instructions, there aren’t many but the few that I have are very important.
- Create your song and share your progress with those in the Discord. Even though this is a contest, we are helping each other out and providing feedback along the way. So don’t be shy, and as the contest states, you can have a partner for this one so it might be an easy way to find somebody to work with!
- Finally, when you are done, submit your final song and wait for results! As you do, give feedback on the work everyone else is doing and help out with questions. It’s really that simple!
I hope you’ll be joining us for events like this one, and many more to come. Thanks for giving this a read and I’ll see you on the Discord!
2 thoughts on “Jon Spencer Reviews Discord & Server Events! – Introducing our Composition Competition”
Hadn’t heard about the Friday Hangouts…
LikeLiked by 1 person
That’s because you aren’t on enough :p